I’m very busy this weekend, seeing a friend’s play, hosting an event, having lunch with the great literary minds of my generation…you know, the usual stuff. But since you’re not doing anything, I’ve got a few suggestions:
- Come to Vroman’s! Duh. But seriously, we have some tremendous events set up, including a really big, elaborate storytime featuring Mrs. Devine from the popular Fancy Nancy book series (Mrs. Devine will, like, totally be there). In the afternoon, you should absolutely cruise by our Hastings Ranch location to check out the How to Travel on a Budget event. Wrap up your day at Vroman’s main store on Colorado Blvd where we will be kicking out the jams with David Reyes and Tom Waldman, authors of the book Land of a Thousand Dances: Chicano Rock and Roll from Southern California. Afterwards, the seminal 80s band Los Illegals will perform. And once all that is wrapped up, we’re telling stories under the stars in the Vroman’s courtyard. Seriously, that’s a whole weekend of great events. And they are all free, as in beer.
- Speaking of free, why not take a crack at Chris Anderson’s much talked-about book of the same name, Free: The Future of a Radical Price. Don’t take Malcolm Gladwell’s word for it, read it for yourself. This is what everyone will be talking about on Monday.
- Go to the New Beverly Cinema, LA’s finest revival house movie theater. They have a great lineup this weekend, including a midnight screening of To Live and Die in LA, William Friedkin’s 1980s classic. Wear your skinny tie.
- Start a blog. This is me kicking you in the butt. There’s absolutely no reason you can’t get a decent Tumblr blog up and running by the end of the weekend. Go give it a shot. Then you can follow us: vromans.tumblr.com.
- Run through a sprinkler. Drink a beer. Screw it, do both at once.
Have a great weekend, everyone. Hope to see you on Saturday for one of our many events. If you’re stop by, say hi.